Monday, April 5, 2010

From the Heart of a Father


This month, for our monthly newsletter that goes out to our local homeschool group. My husband was a blessing and decided to write an article for it. Not only that, it is his desire to continue to write on a semi regular basis for the newsletter.

Now, this blessing me beyond measure, because, normally, I have to come up with all the content. So this lifts a burden off of my shoulders! However, in this new feature he has focused on helping other homeschool dads. His desire is that many dad's will benefit, as well as participate in sharing their success stories or even their struggles.

I thought I would share with you, what he wrote to the group! Thanks Honey for all your help and support!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the first installment of our new feature,targeting the
home school dad.This column has been created to assist dads with the challenges, as well as, increase our knowledge. Guys, there is no way that I’m an authority on home schooling but I thank the Lord for the opportunity to share my trials and circumstances.

I’m a proud father of five. We have home schooled our children for the last ten
years and it has been the most challenging and rewarding experience for our
children and for us. In the past few years I have made tremendous strides
in having a better understanding of the dynamics of our home school.
This includes understanding what my wife is going through, as well
as,how my children are doing academically. It took several
years to learn how to accomplish that.

First you need to ask yourself this question, ‘Why are we home schooling our
children?’ There are a multitude of reasons why we take on this endeavor.
Once you determine your reason or motivation. It will help you when you
come to a difficult time. That’s right you will become
frustrated and discourage at times and people will also
think that you are crazy for not following the traditional classroom
setting. The benefits outweigh the trials; it is great to
know your child’s strong and weaker points. It is wonderful to to modify your children’s curriculum for need or special interests.
The most rewarding thing is no one knows your children better
that you do. The parent teacher conferences are also fun;
we normally go out and have a nice dinner.

Note: Gentlemen always be available to discuss matters with your
wife. I know we are normally in the secondary position. What
we need to remember, is that our wives have been home
all day dealing with the personalities of our children. She
needs a break, some quiet time maybe even some adult communication.
So before Sportcenter take some time to review the day’s events.
This will allows your wife to feel that she is not alone fighting
the battle teaching our children. Remember: We must remain strong
in Christ, strong husbands, strong fathers, and men that walk with
the light.


Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation whom shall I fear? the LORD is the
strength of my life of whom shall I be afraid?
Christian Home Educators of the Antelope Valley

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in the truth.
~3 John 4~

And , ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the
nurture and admonition of the Lord.
~Ephesians 6:4~

1 comment:

  1. Well dear sir-you are right on target there with your thoughts. My hubby took some time to "get it" but soon realized that he needed to be a bigger part of the process and that has made all the difference, even it is simply giving me some "anti-children" time away from the homestead (by giving I mean taking over completely so that I can get away for a couple days to refresh and renew myself). Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete